Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cinderella Story - Buying a Boat

I am going to try to make this long story short.

Two summers ago (2011) I was looking for a boat to buy.  I looked all summer but what I wanted was always a bit out of my humble price range.  As the summer was winding down I found one that said "Cracked Engine Block - $3000."  I had a spare motor so I thought to myself that I could replace the motor and have a good boat. I started looking up the value of the boat based on the model the webpage listed.  It was valued at $5700. Cool, with a bit of elbow grease I could have a $5700 boat.  After negotiating a bit with the seller I picked the boat up for $2700.  I started looking into the motor issue.  The motor still ran, and started right up, but water would spew out the side of the block around the freeze plug that is under the motor mount. My dad who was helping me with the repair noticed the freeze plug had come out.  I inspected the block very thoroughly and there was no cracks or damage to speak of.  Total cost to repair the boat $1.99 + tax for a new freeze plug.  When the boat was being titled it came back as a different model than what the guy told me it was.  I looked up the model, and it turns out it is more valuable than the model the seller thought he was selling.  Total value--- $13,000.  Do I put much weight in listed values from NADA?  No, but it gets you in the ball park.  I don't think if I sold the boat I could get $13K, but who knows. 

I never thought it was possible to get one of those Cinderella story deals.  I guess everybody gets lucky once in a while.

DPS




1 comment:

  1. What a sweet deal. Wish I could find a deal like that.

    ReplyDelete