Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ready to spend the big bucks huh?

There are thousands of things to consider when buying a new toy.  As anybody will tell you, the more choices you have the harder the decision is to make.  If the choice was only between two variables then you could easily go with your gut feel.

The problem with power sports is there are so many opinions out there on what is important, that if you are buying for the first time it becomes daunting.  Here are some things to consider when buying your first toy:


1. Condition vs Price:
It doesn't matter if the thing looks so shinny and new that you will have the best looking ATV out there if it doesn't run.  You can sometimes find excellent deals out there if you are willing to sacrifice on the looks department.  The last toy I bought was about $1,500 less than value because the plastic belly pan was broken, but there was no structural damage at all so I negotiated the price down because of the cosmetics.

2. Power to Weight Ratio:
When I was 15 or so I got a 4 wheeler (still have it out in my dads garage this day.)  It is a 1987 Honda 250 4 stroke.  It came with paddle tires so I could go enjoy the dunes without any further investment.  This was great for a beginner like myself at the time.  I loved that 4 wheeler.  Well life happened and I didn't get to ride it for several years.  When I finally did get back on it again I noticed that my larger heavier frame caused the 4 wheeler to struggle just a bit compared to my brothers 450 that I rode the same day.  It left something to be desired.  Be sure not to under budget the amount of power you will need.  Remember - A powerful engine can go slow, but a week engine can not go fast. What I mean by that is you don't have to make your 1200 CC bullet bike go 200 MPH if you don't want to.

3. Intent:
What are you going to use the Toy for?  If you are going to be hauling a hay bail to feed the cows in the morning, you may not want to get a banshee.  If you are going to be riding your motorcycle to work in the morning, don't get a dirt bike.  These are no brainers, I know, but you would be surprised how many times I see guys purchase the wrong kind of machine for the type of riding they plan to do.  Define your intent... You may find that you really want a crossover machine.  One that doesn't do any one thing exceptional but does several thing well.

4. Budget:
When I was buying my snowmobile I had $4K to spend.  This budget almost automatically put me in a category of machine to buy.  This narrows down your search results significantly.  You will probably find the same thing.  Set a budget and stick to it.  This will help ensure that you don't overspend and have buyers remorse.   

5. Buyers Reviews:
The internet is a great resource.  I always read up on the machine I plan to buy.  There are a lot of honest people out there who will tell you what to look for if you plan to go with a certain brand, model, and year.  Heed their words because if something happened to them, it is likely going to happen to you.  Sometimes you can prevent the thing from happening just by knowing about it.  This may mean adjusting your decision on what brand, model, or year you choose.

In closing remember... There are thousands and thousands of choices out there.  If you do your research and follow my 5 steps you are likely going to narrow down those choices significantly.  Make a smart decision and take your time.  There is nothing more frustrating than buying a toy just to find out that it doesn't perform as advertised.  There are too many dishonest sellers out there for you to not be very educated on what you are buying.  If you don't know much about mechanics, take somebody with you who does.

Thanks for reading,
DPS

      

No comments:

Post a Comment