Monday, October 1, 2012

Trip Planning

Sometimes it is hard to get out there.  Aligning schedules with your family or riding buddies is a pain.

Two years ago I wanted to go boating to Lake Powell.  My wife was pregnant, and other family members weren't committing to a trip that big.  My wife told me she wouldn't go, but that I could.  I started asking family, and friends to poll who was interested.  I had a lot of people say "That would be fun, but I just don't know, it is too far away to think about."

As time drew closer my frustration rose.  I really wanted to go and it was looking like nobody was going to come.  I only had one commitment and that was from my dad.  I talked to my dad and said, "If it only ends up being me and you, are you still willing to go?"  He replied that he would.  So I said "Then it is final, we are going to Lake Powell no matter what."

What a load off my shoulders.  I really didn't care at that point who was coming or not, because I was going to be there. I thought to myself "first come first serve."

As the time drew closer my brother opted in with his family (wife and Four kids). We left on a wednesday and on the Monday before my sister decided she could go with her family (husband and daughter) at the last minute as well. Total we had Eleven people go down.  What a fun trip.

Sometimes it is hard to get a trip together, and a lot of the times takes so much effort that you give up and cancel all together.  Just remember the old saying from the movie The Field of Dreams.  "If you build it, they will come."  I am here to say "If you plan it, they will come."

DPS


No comments:

Post a Comment