Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Storage Dilemma on my snowmobile

It seems like all the newer mountain snowmobiles have eliminated storage all together.  There used to be compartments built into the seat, but that was back when the seats where much larger.  Now they have shrunk everything down and I guess storage is a secondary priority to manufacturers.  This problem has become very apparent this year when we went out on our first ride last Friday.


As some may have read in earlier posts, my brother just bought a 2011 ski doo XP.  I own a 2008 XP, and my other brother owns a 2012 Polaris Pro and a 2006 RMK.  None of these snowmobiles come with storage anywhere except the RMK has a tiny little area under the seat.  My brother bought a small bag for his pro last year but it is just big enough to fit a couple of water bottles.

The Dilemma... We never go snowmobiling without a Snow Bungee, It is a must for the back country.  Makes getting unstuck a million times easier.  The problem is the snow bungee used to go in my Brothers '07 Ski doo rev boss seat.  Now that he upgraded to the 2011, we lost that storage place. So where do we put this thing?  It became apparent that we needed to get tunnel bags because now we are carrying our waters, lunches, snow bungee, exta gloves, goggles, and anything else we might need in our Avalanche backpacks.  This puts a lot of extra unwanted strain on the back while riding.

Which tunnel bag should we get?  There are a lot of solutions out there, but the problem is they all seem really simple in design but cost over $80, with an average price of $100.  Some have the audacity to charge $140 for a backpack with clips on it to attach to your snowmobile tunnel. It is cool to have the easy attach clips, but that isn't worth $140 to me.

The plan... I think what I am going to do is find a weather resistant backpack for around $30 or less and modify it to attach to my tunnel.  Seems the most economical and is a fraction of the cost of the $140 solution that has similar results.

I will keep you all updated on how the project and solution goes.  Let me know if you have better ideas, or maybe know about a tunnel bag that is around $40 that both looks good, and is weather resistant.  Looking good is an important criteria for me.  I don't want a box looking bag on the back of my sled.

Let me know your opinions by leaving a comment bellow,
Thanks for reading,
DPS

No comments:

Post a Comment